I know some of my Australian readers will be scratching their heads wondering why on earth I am posting about Thanksgiving since I am in Australia.
I have taken more notice of American holidays recently as we now have an American relative join the family. I also have noticed that I am getting alot of traffic from America with search terms of ‘gluten free thanksgiving’. Since coeliac disease is universal, then there is no reason why I cannot point people in the right direction. Plus I have always wanted to make a gluten free pumpkin pie.
So I chatted to my relative, googled some recipes myself and cooked numerous dishes. Like for us at Christmas time, families have their own traditions, but here is what I would make if I was in the States.
Gluten Free Vegetarian Thanksgiving Menu
- “Three Sisters” stew (1)- to make this gluten free, use a gluten free stock or just plain water. It is very yummy, you could serve it with rice or mashed potatoes.
- Slow cooker sweet potato casserole (5) – oh my goodness. This is soooo sweet. I used gluten free mini marshmallows.
- Green beans (3) – I just steamed these and then let served it with feta cheese which semi melts, really yummy and a bit hit with hubby and the boys.
- Zucchini, carrot and mushroom loaf (2)- super easy to make, I used gluten free breadcrumbs. So yummy and full of goodness, even my 6 year ate this with relish.
- Sour cream mashed potatoes (4) – I boiled some peeled potatoes until cooked, drained them, mashed with milk and butter until smooth and then stir in a couple of spoonfuls sour cream. mmmm….
- Potato and tomato bake
- Crustless pumpkin pie (6) – big hit with hubby. Me? Not so much. Seems I prefer my pumpkin in a brownie.
- Mama Me Gluten Free – Thanksgiving Day
- Gluten Free Goddess has some fabulous Gluten Free Tips for Thanksgiving 2011
- Mom What’s for Dinner – be sure to check out her Gluten Free Thanksgiving Menu and Recipes
- a great free printable pack from Life Your Way to help you along your way, whether you are gluten free or not
- and I have to make this at some stage,mmm, Pumpkin Spice Latte made in the slow cooker from Crockpot 365.
So whatever is happening in your neck of the woods this Thursday, I hope it is a good one.