What’s In My Toddler’s Carry On Bag for International Travel
Our trip away is not too far away and packing the suitcases has been the forefront of my mind.
Oh and the carry on bag for the plane. Our trip from Melbourne, Australia to Los Angeles, USA is 14 1/2 hours long. Plus the time at the gate waiting to get on there. The first time we went long haul it stressed me out, a toddler, in nappies for that long? What do I pack? How much is too much? What if I don’t pack what I need?
This time around it has been a little easier in the planing (hopefully the execution too!) and I did learn so things from our first time.
Firstly it’s great having 4 people travelling. That’s alot of luggage and alot carry on. We are flying Qantas so we can take 4 x 7 kilo bags onboard. (within the specific size). I can also have a ‘personal’ bag as a handbag.
What I do is have a backpack for the toddler stuff and my stuff. It sits at the bottom of toddler’s feet for easy access, in it I put:
- in one ziplock bag – 4 nappies, wipes, bags, hand santiser, cloth towel
- in one ziplock bag, as above
- in one ziplock bag – change of clothes for toddler.
- Toddler’s own drink bottle – handy as normal water bottles are still a little hard for him
- Kids face and hands wipes
- Lollipops for sucking on to help ears pop
- Headphones – these ones are for the iPad as toddler likes using that as well as the onboard entertainment
- Other activities – books, sticker book, activity pad, pencil roll, ‘Spot That!’ book
- Mickey Mouse – he is a member of the family!
I haven’t added my own things yet because well, I am not that organised. I will add for me:
- travel wallet with required travel documents
- small purse for credit cards and the like
- pens (as one will always run out and you need to fill out different things as you go)
- iPad charger
- gluten free snacks and hard lollies (for that ear popping)
- plastic bag (for rubbish)
- and anything else I think of!
A few notes:
I pack more nappies, wipes and nappy bags in another bag. You will always use more than you think. Always.
I separate some into different ziplock bags for the toddler’s carry on as then when it’s time for a nappy change, I can just pull one ziplock bag out and have all I need.
I also put in a few other things like a laptop, changes of clothes, few toiletries, travel pillows and paracetamol for the kids.
I don’t bother changing them into pj’s. Both boys wear comfy clothes on the plane, with another change in case of accidents. I also take shorts so they can change into them before landing as it is hot in LA!
I put all this into another bag which stays in the overhead.
My older son has his own backpack full of his things.
I am almost positive I have forgotten a few things, I think I’ll add them as I remember.
What is your must take item on board?