Gluten Free Birthday Party
My baby boy turned one a couple of weeks ago. We held the obligitatory party a few days later. It is true that baby won’t remember but in a large family like my husbands; its not a matter of no party, its a matter of when.
Since I am a coeliac and the host, I get to choose the food. Sometimes when I cannot be bothered, I usually buy things and heat them up or assemble. This time I decided to make the entire party gluten free. Not only so I can eat anything and everything but so I can show others that it can be done. My sisters-in-law are slowly coming around, my mum and mum-in-law are well versed but it others that need help.
This was the menu, remember it is all gluten free, I just put it all on the party table at once and let people help themselves (it was mainly grownups)
- skinless franks
- pastry – baked with various savoury toppings
- homemade star chips
- vegie platter (cherry toms, cheese, cucumber, capsicum sticks with hummus dip)
- falafels, served with hummus dip
- flatbread rollups with various toppings
- potato chips (I get the Smiths brand – the blue packet) and corn chips (Doritos – the green packet) – plain ones in both are gluten free
- marshmallows dipped in chocolate – I used Mr Mallows marshmallows – which I found at Big W, have seen them at Woolworths as well.
- chocolate cupcakes
- carrot cupcakes
- iced cookies – this is seriously the best gluten free cookie recipe I have come across and tried, rolls beautifully, cookies dont break while trying to ice them and I used a heap of different cookie cutters and they all worked fine.
- chocolate dipped strawberries
I think thats everything. We also had a birthday cake which I made into 2 loaf pans and stuck together into a ‘1’. I did use a cake mix as I needed to save time where I could as I was mainly doing this on my own. I just iced it with chocolate icing and gluten free chocolate beanies.
Please let me know if you have any questions regarding gluten free party ideas or the products I used.
It was a very successful party and some people were surprised at the great food I provided and how it was all gluten free. As my gluten free friends (thats you my lovely gf readers) will tell you, it isn’t that hard at all!